A friend of mine had his house fully insulated last year for cheap money (after rebates and tax credits) and saved quite a bit on his heating bills. At this time the state is willing to pay 75% (up to $2,500) of the costs. So today I had an energy home assessment and I must say, this was well worth it.
At first I was a little worried about having to come up with a lot of money up front, however that was not the case. Mildred was very helpful and she even replaced all of my old bulbs with high-efficiency bulbs at no cost to me. She installed new installation on all of my exterior doors at no cost. So far, she has saved me quite a lot of money on hardware and future utility bills.
After she measured and evaluated my current energy plan, she estimated that it would cost $2281.60 to insulate my entire house. Since “Mass Save” will pay 75% of the costs up to $2,500, that leaves me with a bill of 25% or $570.40.. not too bad. Not only that, when it comes time to do your taxes, you can write off your cost (after rebates) on your taxes and the Government will refund you 30%. So 30% of $570.40 is $171.12. All-in-all, this will only cost me $399.28 to insulate my entire house!
After her energy assessment, the estimated annual savings on heating/cooling bills are $451.84/year. Literally, it will take less than 1 year to make up the difference, which is well worth it.
So if you live in Massachusetts, I would highly recommend that you take advantage of the current energy tax credits and rebates. You will save yourself a lot of money in the long run!